7/08/2008
Pork
I love pork. I do. But I really am getting very sick of the bacon/pork fetish that has been sweeping both the New York and the international food scene in the past several years. Latest exhibit? Salon's "bacon week". What's especially funny is that unless you eat great piles of it, bacon's not even that bad for you. Eaten as italians might eat it, as a flavoring, it's positively healthy, transforming a bit of pasta into a tasty, meaty, mess without needing to bother with a lot of meat. But the food fashion police have apparently all decided that it's a sort of rebellious splurge - decadence personified. The result? Trendy models eating bacon ironically in trendy New York restaurants. Eh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm not sure that fatty pork always works for me even as flavoring. I tried Momofuku Noodle's signature ramen, and even at that level, it was too much pig. I would ascribe this to having eaten extremely little beef or pork until college -- perhaps my digestive system or taste buds just aren't oriented to it -- except I don't have this problem with fat in beef. I made spaghetti last night where each serving had a quarter pound of only 85% lean ground beef, and enjoyed it thoroughly, whereas I'm certain that a quarter pound of similarly fatty pork would have been too much.
I agree, but when I said flavoring, I meant even more minimal than half pound (i.e, crumbled pancetta in pasta with a little red chili flake). Huge flavor, very little fat.
Post a Comment