Do you want to know what (food) injustice is? That places like Gifford's, a stunningly good ice cream chain in Maryland, are flat out empty on Monday night, at the same time that silly frauds like Pinkberry are printing money in New York.
The almonds on my $3(!) (on Monday only) Sundae were fresh, the chocolate obviously melted quality stuff rather than some sugary gloop, and the ice cream itself creamy and fresh tasting. I'll be back.
7/29/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
:-) Someone asked my opinion of Pinkberry yesterday and I said I preferred Red Mango, which has a distinctive flavor because it's more like real yogurt, with a slight sour tinge, instead of the wannabe ice cream that fro-yo generally is.
However, keep in mind that places like Pinkberry will beat out most ice cream shops in cities such as NYC and LA, because people there are looking for low-fat desserts. In contrast, in places like my hometown, Marble Slab rapidly kills the frozen-yogurt place because people there care more about flavor than fat content. For 90% of Americans, Grom's servings are absurdly small, but of course at that level of milkfat, you can't serve more without taking up all of the FDA recommended allotment for a day.
I thought that Grom was much less fatty than the US ice cream competition. No?
100 grams of Grom, depending on flavor, will have 8-12 grams of fat, 6-9 of which is saturated fat. 9 grams of saturated fat is almost half of your FDA allotment (assuming 2000 calories daily -- it occurred to me the other day to wonder how many Americans really ought to be eating 2000 calories a day, considering that so many of us are short and lazy like me; when I used a calorie calculator once, it said that when I was 35 I shouldn't eat more than 1500 calories). That's as much as the B&J coffee flavor ice cream.
I would compare it to Cold Stone Creamery, but their website says they can't provide information to NYC consumers online lest they be dragooned into the Health Department's requirement to provide it at the store as well (which they'd TOTALLY love to do except their creations are so individualized that there's not enough space on the menu, sorry!).
Another recent wonder was how much sales of sweets at NYC Starbucks outlets has dropped since the rule went into effect. It's pretty much killed my ability to order a pastry. "400 calories? That's almost a meal!"
I just checked Haagen Dazs quickly - chocolate had 18 grams of fat per 100 g, and 11 saturated. Breyer's, a non-super premium, is 7 grams of fat per half cup. But I suspect the premiums weigh more than breyers per half cup.
Post a Comment