Masa
Waddling Thunder at 09:57 PM
crossposted at Crescat
Obscured by Christmas, I missed the fact that Frank Bruni over at the New York Times has dispensed an exceptionally rare four star rating, for the Japanese restaurant Masa. What's remarkable about the review is that Bruni readily admits that one might easily spend as much as $1000 per person at the restuarant, if one lets the chef flex his muscles. So, once again, we're confronted with a perennial food-ist question. Where precisely is the line between obscenity and luxury? Would you spend even half that sum on a meal?
I think I would, but that answer deserves an explanation. There's no sense in which the pleasure I would derive from the meal itself, at that moment, would be worth anything like $500 to me. But as someone who occasionally skipped meals to save up for semesterly blow outs in college, I'd say that it's not that meal you're paying for necessarily. It's the memory of the food for months afterwards; the taste that even a year later haunts your own efforts in the kitchen. If Masa is anything like people describe it, it might well be a bargain. And yet - the number is so very high.
I've enabled comments, I think.
1 comment:
http://sushizenfollies.blogspot.com
What's wrong with American culture? Frank Bruni's review of Masa, that's what.
When Frank Bruni wrote about a recent visit to a sushi shop, reported in the New York Times, I almost lost my lunch. What complete crap. How silly.
Read my comments in CAPS below to see the final analysis. Frank, get real!
-- The Zenman in TOKYO
RESTAURANTS
Sushi at Masa Is a Zen Thing
By FRANK BRUNI
Published: December 29, 2004 www.nytimes.com
TEXT: [annotations by The Zenamn in CAPS. All in fun!]
TEXT:
I could reach deep into a heady broth of adjectives to describe the magic of the sushi at Masa. PLEASE DON'T, FRANK. THE WORST IS YET TO COME. I could pull up every workable synonym for delicious. PLEASE. OrI could do this: tell you about watching a friend bite into one ofMasa's toro-stuffed maki rolls. YES DO TELL US.His eyes grew instantly bigger as his lips twitched TWITCHED? into acoyly COYLY? restrained grin. Then the full taste of the toro, whichis the buttery belly of a bluefin NICE ALLITERATION, B- B- B, FRANK tuna, took visible hold. Forget restraint: OKAY WE WILL. he wassuddenly smiling as widely as a person with a mouthful of food and amodicum of manners can. NARUHODO! His eyes even rolled slightlybackward. DID THEY NOW?This play of emotion mirrored my own toro-induced bliss. BLISS NOW? Italso explains why Masa, despite its chosen peculiarities and pitilessexpense, belongs in the thinly populated pantheon of New York's moststellar restaurants. Simply put, Masa engineers discrete moments ofpure elation that few if any other restaurants can match. SIMPLY PUT,FRANK, YOU WAS HAD AND NOW YOU TRYING TO HAVE YOUR READERS TOO! If you appreciate sushi, Masa will take you to the frontier FRONTIER? REALLY NOW? of how expansively good a single (and singular) bite of it canmake you feel.PURE CLAPTRAP. COME TO TOKYO AND EAT SUSHI AT ONE OFTHOSE CONVEYOR-BELT PLACES, JUST AS GOOD, ONLY 800 YEN!
If you don't, you have no reason to visit this restaurant, which stakes its claim for the most part on a narrow patch of culinary turf. IT STAKES ITS CLAIM ON RICH DUMMIES AND TRUST FUND KIDS. The unyielding boundaries of a meal here are just one of many ways in which Masa bucks the increasingly wobbly traditions of fine dining in this city. MASA BUCKS NOTHING. IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY. BY THE WAY, FRANK, WHO PAID FOR YOUR MEAL? YOU or the TIMES?
Post a Comment