Blueberry Muffins
This is my second recipe from Rose Levy Berenbaum's "The Bread Bible". Her challah was quite excellent, and the blueberry muffins are very good as well. I worry a bit about her obsession with soft buttery breads to the detriment of real thick crusted breads, but it's still a great cookbook. I recommend it heartily.
To make the muffins, cream 4 tablespoons of butter, 100g of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat in one large egg and just a little bit of (hopefully natural) vanilla. Actually, I found that one egg wasn't enough - if you tend to buy smaller eggs, go with two. Finally, add 1 cup of flour, about half a teaspoon of baking soda, and a 1/3 cup of sour cream. The batter should be like pancake batter almost: quite thick. Just add 3/4 of a cup of blueberries*, fold gently, and pour into six muffin cups. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
I've found that if you dip the blueberries into flour before folding into the batter, the blueberries won't sink to the bottom of the muffin. It really works a lot better.
No comments:
Post a Comment